Juergen Braehmer (38-2, 30 KOs) is doing everything he can to ensure that he
gets the new year off to a winning start. The 34-year-old will challenge
current European Light Heavyweight Champion Eduard Gutknecht (24-1, 9 KOs)
when the pair meet inside the Max-Schmeling-Halle in Berlin, Germany. After
having spent some of his training in Berlin and Schwerin, Braehmer and his
coach Karsten Roewer have now travelled to the city of Guestrow in the north
of Germany to add the finishing touches for the title fight.
Both met on Monday at 10.30 am for their first session in the city close to
Braehmer’s hometown. The first workout of the day saw the former WBO World
Champion hitting the pads. In the afternoon the first sparring session took
place. “So far I have been pleasantly surprised by him”, said coach Karsten
Roewer. “Juergen has a really good attitude. That is exactly what is needed
in order to form a successful working relationship. We get along really
well.”
Back in 2009 Braehmer was already in possession of the EBU Title before he
moved on to capture the WBO Belt, which he then lost at the round table, as
he did not participate in any professional fight for almost two years. In
January of 2012, the German gave his successful comeback in Hamburg against
the Spaniard Jose Maria Guerrero. Another victory followed in April in
Schwerin against Vikapita Merero from Namibia. Now he is aiming for another
title.
However, the man standing in his way is the current Champion of Europe,
Eduard Gutknecht. The 30-year-old man form Gifhorn, Germany is sure, that
the challenger is already past his prime. “This fight is not just about my
European Title. The winner will also get a chance to fight it out for the
WBO Championship,” said the prodigy of Coach Ulli Wegner. “He is standing in
the way of a potential title shot. Therefore I have to get rid of him.”
Tickets for the big fight night at the Max-Schmeling-Halle in Berlin can be
purchased at www.boxen.com and www.eventim.de.